2021 Summer Internships at Sports Reference
Posted: February 2, 2021
Sports Reference LLC is planning to welcome two summer interns to join our current group of fifteen employees who work on our sites Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Hockey-Reference.com, FBref.com, Sports-Reference College Football and College Basketball, and Stathead.com. Sports Reference is a small company so interns’ work will be highly visible and have a definite and immediate impact.
Interns will be tasked with data management projects that improve the experiences of our users and support our mission of answering questions, so our users can grow their appreciation, understanding, and love of the game.
Sports Reference summer internships are paid, 40 hr/week positions available between May and September. Interns are typically expected to work from our office in Philadelphia but will be remote for summer 2021. We offer some flexibility for start/end date and vacation time.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
A qualified candidate will satisfy the following:
- experience with data management,
- ability to lead a project after given basic directions,
- desire to find correct answers even when difficult to do so,
- tremendous attention to detail,
- history of getting things done (and done well), and
- love sports.
- A highly qualified candidate will also have basic knowledge of relational databases.
To apply, please send the following information via e-mail to email@example.com (our bug system), using the subject "Summer Internship":
- PLEASE READ FIRST: Your application will consist of two components: an email in which you answer the following questions and a 1-page resume in PDF format. Please do NOT include any personally identifying information (this includes signing your name or including an email signature) in the subject or the body of the email, as we review the answers to the following questions blindly. (Note that you should include your name and other relevant information about your experience on your resume, as we review those separately.) Any applications that do not follow these instructions will not be considered. If, for any reason, following these instructions is not possible, you may explain why in the body of the email.
- Questions to be answered in the body of the email:
- Why do you want to intern with us, and why should we hire you? (200 word max)
- Step by step, how would you tackle the following project? (This was an actual intern project from summer 2019. You should not actually complete the project.)
Across our sites, player pages list notable awards and honors next to the players’ biographical information (see example below). We would like to add a similar feature on our newest site, FBref.com. FBref covers world football, including 100 competitions across 46 countries. Please detail the steps you would take to add such a feature to FBref (e.g., to gather the data, etc.). (Note that this is a project management and data development question NOT a web development question. We have plenty of web developers who can generate web pages.)
Questions regarding the position may be sent to the same address above. As you progress through the process we may ask for references. We will begin reviewing applications on February 15th and continue until the positions are filled. We intend to make offers no later than March 22nd, but may make offers as early as March 1st.
Applicants are preferred to have a legal right to work in the United States. Please let us know in your application if you do not have the right to work in the United States. We would have to look carefully at those cases.
Sports Reference LLC does not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, membership in any other protected classes, or on the basis of sports franchise preferences.
We're Social...for Statheads
Every Sports Reference Social Media Account
Site Last Updated: Friday, March 3, 4:00PM
Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction?
Subscribe to our Free Email Newsletter
Do you have a sports website? Or write about sports? We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Find out more.